Oxshott Heath – War Memorial
The Oxshott War Memorial stands on the hilltop above the south slope of Oxshott Heath in a prominent position facing south, it has a backdrop of trees and is surrounded by a low steel rail and a hedge to enclose it.
The stone memorial was erected after World War 1 by Sir Robert MacAlpine, who lived locally at Knott Park, he was the founder of the MacAlpine construction company and was often referred to as ‘concrete Bob’ for his use of the material.
The memorial displays the names of 25 Oxshott men who died in the 1914-18 war and the 25 who gave their lives in the 1939-45 war so that their courage, bravery and sacrifice is never forgotten. The ground around the Memorial is maintained by the Oxshott Heath Conservators and is the place where a service of commemoration is held every year on Armistice Sunday.
The stone memorial comprises a 7m high wheel-head cross rising from an octagonal column, this stands on a square plinth with inscriptions dedicated to those who lost their lives during the Second World War.
The square plinth is inscribed with the wording: A.M.D.G./ 1939-1945, on the front, with the 25 names of those who died on the other three sides.
The plinth sits on top of five octagonal steps 4.6m wide at the base, which have inscriptions and names in stylised lettering dedicated to those who lost their lives during the First World War.
The wording around the top plinth reads:
IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF OXSHOTT WHO/ SERVED THEIR KING & COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ REMEMBERING BEFORE GOD/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN THE CAUSE OF/ LIBERTY AND JUSTICE
On the next three lower steps are the 25 names of those who died with their Rank and Regiment in which they served.
Listed by Historic England in 2015, entry No. 1430670
Name: Oxshott War Memorial, Oxshott Heath, Oxshott, Surrey, KT22 0TA
IWM reference 23379 (Imperial War Museum info.)
OS Grid Ref.: TQ 14003 61149
M J Crute, Sources, Oxshott- A Surrey Village by B.S. Gidvani 1996, Oxshott Parish Magazine 1981 & Internet.