Research and text by Tatsfield History Project
The son of William John and Annie Beagley (née Blake) of 1 Grove Road, Tatsfield, Cpl Beagley was born in Cudham in 1894 and worked for the Post Office. He enlisted at Brasted. He served as a corporal (service number S/7889) in the 1st Battalion, Queens Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).
He was reported missing in action since October 1917 in the Westerham Herald of 19th January and 6th July 1918, and was killed on 26 October 1917. He is buried at Tyne Cot Cemetery in Belgium Grave L1. B. 4, which is located five miles from Ypres, in West Flanders.
‘Tyne Cot’ or ‘Tyne Cottage’ was the name given by the Northumberland Fusiliers to a barn which stood near a level crossing on the Passchendaele-Broodseinde road. The barn, which had become the centre of five or six German blockhouses, or pill-boxes, was captured by the 3rd Australian Division on 4 October 1917, in the advance on Passchendaele. It is now the largest Commonwealth war cemetery in the world with 11,956 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated. 8,369 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to more than 80 casualties known or believed to be buried among them.
His name appears on the memorial plaque in St Mary’s Church, Tatsfield.