Frank Harold Cleobury, a son of William Cleobury and Laura Amanda Thompson, was born 6 November 1892. In 1903 he won a scholarship to Aske’s Boys School, South London, and remained there until 1908. Entering the Civil Service he became established as a 2nd Division clerk in the Foreign Office.
By 1917 the family had come to live in Worcester Park. At a Military Service Tribunal on 15 February in that year he was granted exemption from combatant service provided that he joined the Friend’s Ambulance Unit. From 6 March 1917 until demobilised on 1 January 1919 he worked successively at Jordan’s Farm Camp (Old Jordans, Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire, the Quaker training centre for FAU), in the London FAU Office, & for Somerset Mental Asylum, Wells.
He married Winifred Sindall, daughter of Alfred John Sindall and Clara Ellen Lucas, registered in Greenwich District 6/1922, and subsequently resided in Deptford. There were two children from that marriage.
Undertaking part-time study, he obtained a BA in Philosophy, 1932, and PhD by 1941. Frank retired as a Principal in the Administrative Grade during 1950.
Subsequently he undertook theological training for candidates for ordained ministry at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford, before being ordained priest in the Church of England, 1951. He became Rector of Hertingfordbury until retirement in 1964 but continued to engage in philosophical writings. His death occurred at Herne Bay, Kent, on 25 March 1981.