Contributed by Brian Bouchard
The marriage of George Edward Wilson Cruttwell to Gwenydd Erskine was registered at Milton, Kent, in the December Quarter of 1893. The birth of their son Clement Henry followed at Chelsea, in September 1896.
He attended Gresham’s School, Norfolk, and was awarded prizes for French and Drawing during 1910.
In October 1914, Cadet Clement Henry Cruttwell, from the University of London Contingent, Senior Division, Officers’ Training Corps was assigned to the 5th Battalion East Surrey Regiment, which comprised volunteers from Streatham, Sutton, Wimbledon and Epsom.
The Illustrated War News of 2 June 1915 published a photograph ‘Fighters for the Freedom of Europe, Officers of the [2nd and 5th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment’ which included 2nd Lieutenant C H Cruttwell. His name also appears on page 134 in the History of the 31st Foot Huntingdonshire Regt., 70th Foot Surrey Regt: Subsequently 1st & 2nd Battalions the East Surrey Regiment, Vol. 3, by Hugh Wodehouse Pearse, ?1916 :-
‘A Company (Captain N. A. Pease) having been already warned, preliminary instructions were now issued. The Commanding Officer, accompanied by Lieut. C. H. Cruttwell and four orderlies, then hastened forward to complete arrangements. ..’
On 9 May 1917, 2nd Lt. (temp. Lt.) C. H. Cruttwell was promoted Lieutenant, with precedence as from 1 June1916. He advanced to Temporary Captain in 5th Battalion East Surrey Regiment, 23 July 1920, but relinquished his commission from 3 July 1921.
Between the Wars he became a Civil Engineer, Assoc. M. Inst. C. E. and published a number of articles, for example:-
Construction of new landing-stage and other works at Gosport, 1925
The River Rother Improvement Work, 1930
Barge Places 90-Ton Breakwater Blocks – Engineering News Record, Vol. I3I, No. 3.
The marriage of Clement H Cruttwell to Elizabeth Josephine Vernon Hinde [formerly the wife of Gerald Willoughby Andrews (some time 2nd Lieutenant in The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment), eldest son of the late Mr. Leonard Peel Andrews, Dunedin, Ashtead] was registered at Kensington, 9/1933.
Clement’s father, a prominent Engineer, who had been actively engaged during the Great War on work for the Department of Explosives Supply and, from 1925, acted as honorary consulting engineer to the Imperial War Graves Commission, died on 10 November 1933 with an obituary published by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Before that date the family had moved to ‘Rosemary’, Clinton Road, Leatherhead.
On 27 May 1943, C H Cruttwell who had remained on the Territorial Reserve of Officers, with a Service Number 2107, was transferred from the East Surrey Regiment to the Royal Engineers retaining seniority from 1920. Capt. Cruttwell (2107) having exceeded the age limit relinquished his commission, 27th Mar. 1948, retaining the rank of Captain.
By 1950 Clement Henry Cruttwell had taken up residence in Fowlers Cottage, 12 Rectory Lane, Ashtead. His death was registered at Southampton 6/1966, aged 69. Elizabeth Josephine Vernon Cruttwell lived on until 15 January 1991 when she expired at Preston House, Preston, Cirencester, [Gloucestershire]