Text and Research by Tatsfield History Project
Born in Warlingham (Croydon according to one record) in 1897, Private Beaconsfield Davis was the son of Arthur & Charlotte Davis (née Mighell) of Peace Cottage, Ship Hill. He enlisted at Redhill, and served with the 9th Battalion of the Norfolk Regiment.
He died on 18th September 1918, and is buried at Trefcon British Cemetery at Caulaincourt west of St Quentin, France Grave B71.
There are now nearly 300 casualties from the First World War commemorated in this site. On the 22nd March 1918 Caulaincourt and Trefcon was captured by German troops, in spite of a stout defence by the 50th (Northumbrian) Division. The villages were regained by British troops in September 1918.
His name appears on the memorial plaque in St Mary’s Church, Tatsfield.