Text and Research by Tatsfield History Project
Born in 1873, Mechanic Carson was the son of James and Flora Carson, of Paddington and husband of Elizabeth Carson, of 20 Westville Road, Shepherd’s Bush.
He served with the number 260923, as an Air Mechanic 3rd Class Carson and was based at Tadcaster Aerodrome in Yorkshire. He died on 8 September 1918; the circumstances of his death are not known.
He is buried in the churchyard at St Mary’s – grave 119 – and his name appears on the memorial plaque in Tatsfield church.
According to English Heritage, the airfield was originally known as Bramham Moor and was used between 1916 and 1919. Tadcaster was established as part of the network of Home Defence airfields. It was the headquarters for 33 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps which was responsible for the air defence of the Leeds and Sheffield areas. However, it soon became more of a training airfield for squadrons of the 8th Wing. A number of training squadrons were formed there and in 1918 Tadcaster became No. 38 Training Depot Station. It was responsible for the training and subsequent formation of operational squadrons destined for the front line.