In 1914 the parishes that now make up the London Borough of Sutton came under four different urban and rural district councils which were responsible for matters such as public health, housing and sanitation and took on many additional responsibilities during the war such as food control.
Sutton was administered by Sutton Urban District Council and Carshalton by Carshalton Urban District Council. Minutes and other records of these Councils for the war years are held at Sutton Local Studies and Archives.
Beddington, Coulsdon and Wallington were administered by Croydon Rural District Council. When Croydon RDC was dissolved in 1915 Beddington and Wallington were transferred to the newly formed Beddington and Wallington Urban District and Coulsdon (including Purley) to the newly formed Coulsdon and Purley Urban District. Minutes and other records of the newly formed Councils for the war years and of the individual pre-1915 Parish Councils are held at Sutton Local Studies and Archives.
Click here to find out more about the First World War memorials in the London Borough of Sutton. If you have information about other First World War memorials in the London Borough of Sutton that are not listed please use the form below to send details to the project team.
To see more detail about places in the London Borough of Sutton click on the links below: