Staines

High Street, Staines, 1904 SHC ref PC/133/32.

High Street, Staines, 1904
SHC ref PC/133/32.

The riverside town of Staines, served by stations on both the Great Western Railway and the Windsor branch of the London and South Western Railway and linked to Egham by a stone bridge built in 1832, had a population in 1911 of 6,755. The chief crops on the alluvial soil were wheat, barley, oats, turnips and beans.

The town was served by a number of churches and chapels. The Anglican churches were the old parish church of St Mary the Virgin, mostly rebuilt in 1828, and St Peter’s church, Laleham Road (parish formed in 1894).

Read More

Leave a Comment

Stories nearby...

thumbnail

Frederick Sowrey 1893-1968

Frederick Sowrey, The Royal Fusiliers, Royal Flying Corps and latterly the Royal Airforce. A fighter...