The village of Shepperton, on the bank of the Thames and the terminus of the Thames Valley branch of the South Western Railway, had a population of 2,337 in 1911. A ferry linked Shepperton to the Surrey bank of the Thames at Weybridge. The chief crops grown on the light, gravelly soil included fruit, wheat, barley, oats, peas and mangold wurzel.
The parish included the hamlets of Lower Halliford on the Thames, with an iron bridge connecting it to Walton upon Thames, and Shepperton Green to the north west. Both Shepperton and Lower Halliford were popular with fishermen, roach, barbell, perch and pike being especially plentiful.
Along with the ancient parish church of St Nicholas there was a chapel of ease dedicated to St John in Shepperton Green, built in 1870, and a Primitive Methodist Mission Hall in the same place. Three post offices served the parish, in Halliford, Upper Shepperton and on Laleham Road, Shepperton Green. There were mixed and infants public elementary schools on Highfield Road and recently erected mixed schools at Shepperton Green.
The principal landowners were the trustees of William Schaw Lindsay, a merchant, shipowner and MP, who died in 1877, and Augusta Clementina (née Carrington), Lady Blythswood (1841-1922) who lived at Dunally Lodge, Lower Halliford.
Click here to find out more about the First World War memorials in the parish of Shepperton. If you have information about other First World War memorials in Shepperton that are not listed please use the form below to send details to the project team.