Major (Quartermaster)Thomas Elson IVEY OBE(1866-1919) & his niece Ethel Ivey GEORGE (born 1897)

Surrey in the Great War Jenny Mukerji

Major (Quartermaster)Thomas Elson IVEY OBE(1866-1919)

Ethel Ivey GEORGE (born 1897)

Thomas Elson Ivey, an Army Major and Quartermaster buried in Brookwood Military Cemetery whose niece Ethel Ivey George was a VAD in Croydon, Surrey.

The major’s grave is in Brookwood Military Cemetery and has a CWGC memorial with the simple inscription:

Major & Quartermaster

T. IVEY OBE

Oxford & Bucks Light Inf.

23 October 1919.

The grave number is 184010 with the plot reference VI J 3.

Thomas was the eldest of the four children of Samuel IVEY (1838-1892) and his wife Caroline, nee ELSON who were married in Clifton, Bristol on 28 July 1861. Samuel was a grocer and a carpenter and was born in Stoke St Mary, Somerset. He moved to the St Paul’s area of Bristol and this is where his wife and all of his children were born.

Initially Thomas was a carpenter’s apprentice but he had probably enlisted in the Army by the time he married Amelia Louisa CONNELL in England in 1896. His regiment, 43rd Oxford Light Infantry were posted to Kinsale, Dublin and stayed in the Curragh until 1897. Thomas and Amelia’s daughter Muriel Elson IVEY was born in County Kildare in about 1898. The regiment also saw service in the South African (Boer) Wars and by 1902 they were in Chatham before being posted to Bombay, India and then to Poona. By 25 September 1903 Thomas had already been serving in the Oxfordshire Light Infantry as Quartermaster Sergeant and on that date he was gazetted with the honorary rank of Lieutenant. Next came a move to Umballa, India and their daughter Millie Laura was born in Lucknow on 2 March 1905.

In 1908 the regiment became the 43rd Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and after a short stay in Burma, moved to Wellington in India where Thomas, Amelia and Millie were listed in the 1911 Census. Their daughter Muriel was at school in Dorchester, Dorset at the time. On 22 September 1913 Thomas was promoted to the honorary rank of Captain in the 43rd Oxford & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

His service during the Great War saw him in the Middle East. He was with the British-Indian Army that was besieged at Kut al-Amara. For an account of this siege see:

History of the 43rd and 52nd (Oxford and Buckinghamshire) Light Infantry in the Great War Vol 1, the 43rd Light Infantry in Mesopotamia and North Russia” by J.E.H. Neville, Naval & Military Press Ltd., East Sussex, 2008.

In this book Hon. Captain & Quartermaster T. IVEY is included in a list of men who were brought to notice for gallant and distinguished service in the field from 5 October 1915 to 17 January 1916. He had already carried out a number of heroic deeds rescuing wounded comrades from encounters with the Turks. He was present at the capitulation of Kut al-Amara on 29 April 1916 which saw the surrender of over 13,000 British-Indian soldiers after 147 days, the worst surrender in the history of the British Army to that date. Thomas was one of these prisoners, but being an officer, he was treated with more respect, despite the accommodation being filthy. During the siege the men had to suffer flies, mosquitoes, heat and sickness as well as starvation. This took its toll on Thomas and being sick he was held back in Bagdad and later sent to Kastamuni.

Being nearly 50 years old at the time of the siege, Thomas’s health suffered and it must have remained poor. He died in Queen Alexandra Military Hospital, Millbank, London on 23 October 1919. His home was at Fairacres Road, Oxford.

His widow married Lt Col. (Quartermaster) Joseph FREEL DCM, OBE (c1863-1930) of the Durham Light Infantry at the Friary Church (St Joseph’s) Portishead on 3 June 1920.

Major Thomas Elson IVEY has a record held at the National Archives at Kew; WO339/5992.

Ethel Ivey Hotson GEORGE (born in 1897)

Ethel was the daughter of Arthur Athelton GEORGE (1865-?1947) and his wife Sarah Elson, nee IVEY (1862-1919). Sarah Elson was the sister of Major Thomas Elson IVEY (detailed above) and was born in Bristol. Sarah married Arthur in 1888 and they had four surviving children of which Ethel was the third. For all of the census returns from 1891 until 1911 the family used the surname of HOTSON, which was the surname of Arthur’s step-father.

Born in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, Ethel was engaged by the British Red Cross Society as a nurse in the Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) on 1 June 1918, when aged 21. At first she was at the 5th North General Hospital in Leicester until 31 December 1918. Then came a move to the War Hospital in Croydon, Surrey until 15 February 1919 when she was transferred to the Military Hospital in Sidcup, Kent, she remained there from 2 February 1919 until 9 May. She was then transferred to Paddington on 6 June 1919 where she was still serving on 8 July 1919.

Throughout this period her address was that of her mother: Laburnum House, Leverington, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. Ethel’s elder brother, Ernest Frederick GEORGE (1889-1915) emigrated to Canada and enlisted in the 8th Battalion Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment) in Quebec on 23 September 1914. He attained the rank of Lance-Corporal but was taken prisoner at the Battle of St Julien (part of the 2nd Battle of Ypres). He died on 26 April 1915 as a prisoner of war and was buried Roeselare Communal Cemetery in Belgium. See https://cgwp.uvic.ca/detail.php?pid=1245071 .

Her brother John Robert Hotson GEORGE (born in 1891) also served in the Great War and survived. Her sister was Florence Mabel Hotson GEORGE who was born in 1894.

Colonel George Hereward Cardew CBE DSO

Surrey in the Great War Jenny Mukerji

George Hereward CARDEW CBE DSO (1861-1949)

In Plot 78 in Brookwood Cemetery, Woking, Surrey lies Major George Hereward CARDEW. He is buried in the grave of his cousin Major Philip CARDEW (1852-1910) along with other members of their family. George was the eldest son of Rev George CARDEW (c1811-1893) and his wife Marthanna Catherine Alice, nee KIRBY (c1841-1913) and was born at Woodlands, Kingsclere in Hampshire. He was educated at Haileybury College in Hertfordshire and joined the Army, from the Militia, as a Lieutenant in the 18th (Queen Mary’s) Hussars on 9 August 1882.

George became a Captain on 7 July 1886 and between 21 October 1887 and 10 December 1888 he was Deputy Assistant Commissary-General, in the Commissariat and Transport Staff.

On 11 December George was attached to the Army Service Corps (ASC) and transferred to the ASC on 1 April 1889. Still in the Army, George was promoted to Major on 17 April 1898.

He served in the South African War (Boer War), on the Staff, from 1900 to 1902 and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order, The Queen’s Medal with four clasps and The King’s Medal with two clasps and was mentioned in Lord KITCHENER’s Despatches. These medals along with those awarded during the Great War came up for sale at Special Auction Services in February 2018. They had been flown in from Kwazulu, Natal, South Africa by a relation for the sale.

At the outbreak of the Great War in 1914 he rejoined the Army (having retired in April 1911) and held the position of Adjutant Quarter-Master General (AQMG), Eastern Army until 1916. He was Group Commander of a Labour Corps for overseas service from 13 February 1917 and he served with the British Expeditionary Force in France from 1917 until 1918, being mentioned for valuable services. He was made a CBE in 1919.

In his private life, he had married Emma Marian BURCHALL (c1865-1943) at St James’s Church, Piccadilly on 13 August 1888. Emma came from Waterford in Ireland. George and Emma’s stillborn twin sons were born prematurely on 13 May 1889 at 216 Herbert Road Woolwich. Later their son, Hereward Douglas St George CARDEW (1893-1957) was born at his grandfather’s home in Liss, Hants. He also served in the Army during the Great War. Emma died on 30 July 1943 at 16 Church Terrace, Lee in Kent. She was buried in Brookwood Cemetery on 4 August. Her husband died on 22 January 1949 at 50 Durham Avenue, Bromley, Kent when his home was still at 16 Church Terrace. He was buried in Brookwood Cemetery on 26 January.

(Edith) Maud MacBRIDE nee GONNE (1866-1953)

Surrey In the Great War Jenny Mukerji

(Edith) Maud MacBRIDE nee GONNE (1866-1953)

Born in Tongham, Surrey and imprisoned in May 1918 for her supposed involvement in a Pro-German Plot.

Known as Maud, Edith Maud GONNE was born in Tongham, Surrey on 21 December 1866, the elder daughter of Lt Col Thomas GONNE (1835-1886) of the 17th Lancers and his wife Edith Frith, nee COOK (c1844-1871). Her sister was Kathleen Mary (born in Ireland in about 1868) who married the future Major-General Thomas David PILCHER (c1858-1928) of the British Army at St Mary’s Graham Street, London on 18 December 1889 when he was a captain in the 5th Fusiliers. He went on to serve in West Africa, in the South African Wars (Boer Wars) and during the Great War as Colonel of the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment.

Maud’s mother, who was born in East Peckham, came from a wealthy merchant family that manufactured silk, linen, woollen and cotton goods. She died of tuberculosis when Maud was still a child. The girls were then raised with the help of a French nanny. In the 1871 Census (2 April) their mother was still alive and she was living with Maud and Kathleen in Paddington at the home of Mrs Gonne’s aunt, Augusta TARLTON. However, once her mother died, Maud began to live a very cosmopolitan lifestyle and often acted as a hostess when her father entertained.

In the 1881 Census she was living in Torquay with her sister as a pupil at Miss Margaret WILSON’s school. After her father’s death at the Royal Barracks, Dublin on 30 November 1886, Maud inherited wealth and was able to enjoy an independent lifestyle. She was interested in the theatre and became an actress on the Irish stage. Being beautiful and flamboyant (and rich) she was never short of suitors. One of the most famous, yet unsuccessful (despite four proposals), was the Irish poet W.B. YEATS (1865-1939) whom she met in 1889 through the theatre. She was his muse for the heroine of his play Cathleen Ni Houlihan (1892).

Maud travelled widely and when in Paris in 1887 and recovering from an illness she met and fell in love with the married, right-wing nationalist, Lucien MILLEVOYE (1850-1918). The couple had two children: Georges (1889-1891) and daughter, Iseult (1894-1954). It was the death of Georges, aged two, that rekindled her interest in spiritualism. The BBC Website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31064648 expands on her interest in this subject. Yet it was her father’s native Ireland that won her heart. She had spent time there as a child and after watching an unpleasant eviction in the 1880s, she had great sympathy for the poor and downtrodden. She became a speaker for the Land League and in 1900 she founded the nationalist group Daughters of Ireland to promote and preserve Irish culture.

During the South African Wars (Boer Wars) Maud helped to organise the Irish brigades that fought against the British army in South Africa. It was during a fund raising tour of the United States of America that she met the Irish revolutionary Major John MacBRIDE (1868-1916) who had fought against the British in South Africa (and against Maud’s brother-in-law, Major-General PILCHER). Maud married John MacBRIDE in Paris in 1903. The couple’s son Sean was born in Paris on 26 January 1904. He remained in Paris after his father’s execution for his part in the Easter 1916 Rising and later became an important Irish politician. He was the Irish minister for External Affairs from 1948 to 1951 and involved himself in Human Rights issues. He died in Ireland in 1988.

However, Maud and John MacBRIDE’s marriage was a stormy one and the couple separated in 1906. Because of his involvement in the Easter 1916 Rising in Dublin, John MacBRIDE was executed by the British on 5 May 1916 in Killmainham Goal, Dublin. Nevertheless, Maud continued to support the revolutionary cause and she was arrested in May 1918 in Dublin for revolutionary activities when it was assumed that she was involved in a Pro-German plot. She was never tried and having been imprisoned in England for six months, she was released due to her poor health. There was, however, a condition placed on her release: she was not to return to Ireland! Immediately she returned to Ireland and began to campaign on behalf of political prisoners in an effort to improve their conditions in gaol.

Maud not only continued to campaign for a Republic of Ireland, but also for women’s rights and universal suffrage. Her objections to the Treaty which divided the island of Ireland into the Republic and (the six counties that formed) Northern Ireland saw her in trouble again, this time in 1923 when she was imprisoned for 20 days by the Irish Free State forces for seditious activities.

Maud died on 27 April 1953 in Dublin and was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin. Her son, Sean and his wife, Catalina Bulfin MacBRIDE (1901-1976) were later buried in the same grave.

Here is a story with a very different perspective on Surrey in the Great War. Much has been written about Maud; some parts of it are contradictory. However, where Surrey, the place of her birth, is concerned, she appears to have been almost forgotten.

Thomas Hendra

Surrey in the Great War                                                                                                                                                  Jenny Mukerji

Thomas HENDRA (1889-1972)

Soldier and Woking Photographer

Thomas was born in Truro, Cornwall on 4 November 1889, the son of Henry HENDRA (1863-1894) and his wife Elizabeth, nee CLEMENS. He was the youngest of their four children. Henry HENDRA was a watchmaker and jeweller and after his death, aged 31, his widow married Philip Henry TONKIN in 1899. Philip TONKIN was a game dealer and seed merchant and he helped Elizabeth to raise her four sons at their home in Union Place, Truro.

Thomas’s disembarkation papers dated 20 November 1910 when he arrived at Ellis Island (United States) off the SS Carmania (out of Liverpool), tells us quite a number of things about him. He was 20 years old and a store man. He could read and write and was English speaking. His contact in England was his mother Mrs P H TONKIN of 11 Truro View Terrace, Truro. He was 5ft 8 inches tall and of a fresh complexion, dark hair and brown eyes. In 1908 he had visited the US before, this time going to Baltimore. In 1910 he was to visit a friend Miss E ELLERY* of 320 19th, Sacramento, California. However, giving his occupation as store man, he was wealthy enough to buy his own ticket and to hold the required $50 (to cover any costs so that he would not be a burden on the State).

Henry does not appear to have returned to England in time to be included in the 1911 Census but the next time he is found is when he enlisted in the 7th Battalion, Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert’s) on 18 November 1914. This was a battalion of volunteers in the Second (Kitchener’s) New Army and had been formed in Taunton on 13 September 1914. They then moved to Woking as part of the 61st Brigade of the 20th Division. They then moved to Witley, near Godalming. In March 1915 they moved to Amesbury and then to Larkhill, near Salisbury. Henry was definitely with them when they were mobilised for war and landed at Boulogne on 24 July 1915. The battalion was given trench familiarization and training in the Fleurbaix area before engaging with the enemy at the Battle of Sorrel (Hill 62) at the beginning of June. Henry may have been with the battalion at the start of the Battle of the Somme (1 July 1916), fighting in the area of Delville Wood. As he was discharged from the Army and awarded his Silver War Badge on 7 September 1916 due to sickness, the extent of his participation in the battalion’s later action is not clear; nor is it known why he should be considered unfit for further military service.

It may have been during his original time in Woking in 1914 or as a possible patient in a Woking Military Hospital, that he met the Woking photographer Marguerite REED (1884-1969). She was, as Margaret Emma REED, the youngest of the three daughters of postal worker Thomas REED (1855-1924) and his wife Elizabeth, nee WILSON (c1856-1929) of Stone House, 2 Sandy Lane, Maybury, Woking. Marguerite had taken over the Studio, formerly run by Alfred WILDMAN (1867-1916) at 88 Maybury Road, Woking in April 1917. On Saturday 2 June 1917 Thomas and Marguerite were married at the Guildford Registry Office. Their professions were given as Army Pensioner and Photographer respectively. Both gave their age as 28.

Marguerite had left the 88 Maybury Road studio by 1924 when Sidney FRANCIS took it over. The 1939 Register lists Thomas and Marguerite living at Stone House and both of them are photographers. Thomas was also an ARP Warden. Marguerite continued her business at Stone House and died in 1969. Thomas was still at Stone House when he died on 9 March 1972.

* Further research has uncovered the ELLERY family with whom Thomas planned to stay. William ELLERY (1848-1936) was a ship’s carpenter in 1871 and he was the son of James ELLERY. He married Mary Jane LLOYD, daughter of John LLOYD of Birmingham in May 1880 in England. William had already been to the United States in 1878 and in all the couple had five children of whom only 2 were still alive in 1910. They were 28 years-old Mary Elsie Ellery (born in England) and 14 years-old Lloyd (born in California – in 1930 he was an accountant at the Customs House). The two Marys had arrived in the US in 1884. William, his wife Mary and daughter Mary had all become Americans in 1888. In 1910 William and his family were living at 320 Sacramento, California and he was now a house carpenter, owning his own home. In 1930 William, Mary and Lloyd were living in Oakland City, Alameda County, California. William and Mary Jane ELLERY are buried together in Sacramento. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/99363123. Children Winifred and Cyril are in the same plot. Winifred Selwyn ELLERY was born in Truro in 1881 and died 13 July 1885. Cyril William, born 1887 and died on 26 January 1891. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/99348403

Major General Alexander Gavin STEVENSON (1871-1939) CB CMG DSO Colonel-Commander Royal Engineers

Surrey in the Great War Jenny Mukerji

Major General Alexander Gavin STEVENSON (1871-1939)

CB CMG DSO Colonel-Commander Royal Engineers

Buried in Brookwood Cemetery, Woking, Surrey

Alexander Gavin Stevenson was born in South Shields, Northumberland on 15 October 1871. He was the younger son of Archibald Stevenson (1838-1877) and his wife Margaret Jane, nee Anderson. His father was a partner in the Jarrow Chemical Works, manufacturing alkali and a partner in the Tyne Tug Company Limited in South Shields. Sadly, Archibald Stevenson died at sea on a voyage to Adelaide, Australia when Alexander was only five years old and his mother was left as a widow with five young children. By 1881 she had left South Shields and the family were living at 53 Ladbroke Road, Kensington, where Margaret remained until her death in 1893.

Before entering the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, Alexander was educated at the Chanonry School in Aberdeen (his mother was Scottish). In February 1891 he was gazetted as 2nd Lieutenant in Royal Engineers (RE). In September 1895 he was attached to the Egyptian Army to help them to develop their railway system. He took part in the 1896 expedition to recover the Dongola Province from the Dervish forces and was mentioned in dispatches. In 1897 he took part in the Nile operations and he saw the overthrow of the Khalifa at the Battle of Khartoom the following year. This was when Alexander was awarded his Distinguished Service Order (DSO) and was once more mentioned in dispatches.

Alexander left the Sudan in 1899 to serve as a railway staff officer in South Africa. He later became Superintendent of locomotives there. He took part in the advance on Kimberley and the Orange Free State between February and May 1900 and saw duty in the Transvaal and Cape Colony where he was again mentioned in dispatches. He also gained the Queen’s Medal with three clasps. In July 1901 he was given an administrative appointment with the Central South African Railways and remained with them until the end of the hostilities in May 1902. He helped the reorganisation of the railways to meet more commercial requirements. In 1904 he moved to work on railways in Somaliland until 1907 when he moved to Uganda and the East African Protectorates to work on surveillance work for their railways.

In October 1909 he returned to Britain where he remained for four years and was appointed Inspector of Iron Structures at the War Office. He was promoted to Major in 1910.

When the Great War broke out Alexander was in Plymouth but he immediately went out to France with the British Expeditionary Force (BEF). In August 1915 he was appointed Commanding Royal Engineers (CRE) of the 6th Division. At the end of 1915 the mining services were reorganised and Alexander was transferred to the Headquarters of the Second Army as Controller of Mines and was promoted to Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel in January 1916. He was responsible for the preparation and carrying out of the deep mining offensive of 7 June 1917. This took place along the Messines-Wytschaete Ridge with 19 mines exploding prior to its capture. The Second Army was also involved in battles that took place around Ypres in Belgium.

In November 1917 Alexander was sent, as Deputy Engineer-in-Chief with a force to Italy and in January 1918 he was promoted to Brevet Colonel and after wintering in Italy he returned to the Western Front in April 1918 as Chief Engineer of the V Corps, a regiment in the Third Army. During this time, Alexander saw action in the Battles of Selle and Sambre. In September 1918 he reached the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in his corps.

After the Armistice (11 November 1918) he was appointed the Chief Engineer of the IV Corps in the Army of Occupation in the Rhine and returned home in September 1919. Alexander had been created Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) in 1917 and Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) in 1919 and mentioned in dispatches seven times.

In 1920 Alexander became President of the Engineer Board which analysed the outcome of the progress made in mechanical equipment and research in the light of the War. He was promoted substantive colonel in 1921 and left Britain in 1922 to take up the appointment of chief engineer to the British forces in Turkey where the Kemelist armies of Asia Minor were threatening the Dardanelles defences and Constantinople (Istanbul). In April 1923, with the tension in this area diminished, he returned to Britain and went to the Aldershot Command as chief engineer. Between November 1924 and May 1926 he had been Aide-de-Camp (ADC) to King George V. Alexander was promoted to Major-General in May 1926 and remained at Aldershot until that August when he was promoted as Engineer-in-Chief in India. This was his last posting and he retired from the Army in June 1932. He became Colonel-Commandant, RE.

In 1909 he had married Elizabeth Nicoll Jobson (1884-1964), the daughter of Surgeon-Major W Jobson and they had three sons and a daughter. They were Margaret, born in 1910; William Alexander, born in 1912; Michael Gavin, born in 1915; and John Campbell (1920-1974) who is also buried in the family plot in Brookwood Cemetery. When he died in his sleep on 13 March 1939 Alexander’s home was at The Red Cottage, High Street, Sandhurst, Camberley. His funeral service took place at Sandhurst Church at 2:30pm on 15 March and he was interred in Brookwood Cemetery (Plot 31) on 3:45pm. By request there were to be no flowers and cars met the train at Camberley Station at 2pm.

Elizabeth Nicoll Stevenson was buried in Brookwood Cemetery on 19 November 1964, having died at her home, The Red Cottage on 14 November.

May Margaret Stevenson OBE (1875-1922)

Surrey in the Great War Jenny Mukerji

May Margaret STEVENSON OBE (1875-1922)

Buried in Plot 31 of Brookwood Cemetery and in her family’s grave, lies May Margaret Stevenson OBE. May was born in Bournemouth on 9 May 1875 the daughter of Archibald Stevenson (1838-1877) and his wife Margaret Jane, nee Anderson (1841-1893). She was taken up to the family home in South Shields, near Newcastle and baptised in the Laygate Presbyterian Chapel on 20 June 1875. Her father was a partner in the Jarrow Chemical Works, manufacturing alkali and a partner in the Tyne Tug Company Limited in South Shields.

May was the youngest of her parents five surviving children and was only nineteen months old when her father died at sea on 19 January 1877. By 1881 her mother had moved her family of young children south to 58 Ladbroke Grove in Kensington, London. In 1891 May was living with her aunt Mary Adamson Marshall MD (1837-1910) in Upper Berkeley Street, Marylebone. Dr Marshall was one of the first women to qualify as a doctor and by 1891 she was entertaining female medical students at her home.

May went to Girton College (Ladies’ College), Cambridge and graduated with a Third Class BA and in 1901 she was living with her mother’s cousin Ruth Anderson in Clarincarde Gardens, Kensington, not far from her mother’s home. In 1911 she was living in her own accommodation in Wandsworth with her own housekeeper, Mary Troup. May was now on an Apprenticeship Committee and a Social Worker.

During the Great War, May served in the Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps (WAAC) until they became the Queen Mary’s Auxiliary Army Corps (QMAAC) in April 1918 and continued with them. She was Administrator-in-Charge of their depot at Folkestone, Kent from March 1917 until May 1918. It was for her duties during the Great War that she received her OBE.

As May died on 5 February 1922 in the Mundesley Sanatorium in Norfolk, it can be safely assumed that she had suffered from tuberculosis. Her funeral service took place in one of the Brookwood Cemetery chapels on 8 February 1922 and she was buried in her mother’s grave and beside that of her aunt, Mary Adamson Marshall. Her death was announced in The Times on 7 February with a request that there should not be any flowers sent. Her name appears with that of her siblings on the kerbing of the grave.

Her photograph, in her uniform is in the collection of the Imperial War Museum. There was also a book published in London in 1922 In Memoriam May Margaret STEVENSON OBE.

Major William Henry Wreford-Brown

Surrey in the Great War Jenny Mukerji

Major William Henry WREFORD-BROWN (1865-1941)

Major William Henry WREFORD-BROWN was the eldest child of William Wreford and Clara Jane WREFORD-BROWN’s eleven children and he was born at Caledonia Place, Clifton, near Bristol on 10 September 1865. He was educated at Charterhouse School and was commissioned as Lieutenant in the Essex Regiment on 30 January 1886. William served as Adjutant between 1891 and 1895 and was subsequently promoted to Captain on 14 August 1897. Part of his army career was spent in India, with the “Tirah Expeditionary Force” and the Khyber Forces from 1897 to 1898 on attachment to the 1st Battalion, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry. He also served in South Africa with the 2nd Battalion, Essex Regiment. On 22 November 1902 he was appointed Adjutant of the 4th Battalion and on 16 May 1906, he was promoted to Major. He later transferred to the Reserve of officers on 8 January 1908.

During the Great War he was given a special appointment as General Staff Officer from 31 August 1914. By 1916 he was working at the Press Bureau in Whitehall.

He was awarded the India General Service Medal Pair (Indian Tirah & Punjab) along with the South African 1902 – Orange Free State and Cape Colony Medal, being one of only six officers from the Essex Regiment to receive them. They came up for sale in 2018 priced at £1,125.

In 1892 he married Louisa Knight SENIOR (1860-1952), daughter of Rev James SENIOR (1814-1897) who changed his name to HUSEY-HUNT in 1894 for reasons of inheritance. In the 1901 Census Returns William and Louisa were living in London. Their only child, Kathleen (1894-1976) married Brigadier Rintoul George Edward CAROLIN (1896-1976). At the time of this marriage at Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street, London in 1920, William and his wife Louisa were living at Elstowe, Jenner Road, Guildford, Surrey.

William died on 28 November 1941 at Rookwood, Ganghill, Guildford and his funeral took place in Brookwood Cemetery on 2 December 1941 at 12 noon. His widow Louisa died on 6 April 1952 at Brentwood District Hospital, Brentwood. Her home had been at Chithams Lodge, Ramsden Heath, Billericay, Essex and her funeral was a private one.

William’s siblings included Charles WREFORD-BROWN (1866-1951) the famous footballer and cricketer. Charles was a solicitor by profession and a lieutenant in the Grenadier Guards during the Great War. Two of their brothers, both serving in the Northumberland Fusiliers, died in the Great War: Captain Claude WREFORD-BROWN DSO (1876-1915) who is commemorated on the Menin Gate at Ypres; and Captain Oswald Eric WREFORD-BROWN (1877-1916) who died of his wounds and is buried in Corbie Communal Cemetery Extension, France. Another brother was Rev Gerald WREFORD-BROWN (1874-1956) who served in the Army Chaplains’ Department during the Great War (WO339/114182) and is also buried in Brookwood Cemetery.

Rev John FAIRBOURNE (1852-1915)

Surrey in the Great War                                                                                                                                    Jenny Mukerji

Rev John FAIRBOURNE (1852-1915)

Wesleyan Minister Rev FAIRBOURNE was born in Bolton, Lancashire in 1852 the son of Edmund and Jane FAIRBOURNE. His father was a corn factor. His early years were spent in Manchester and by 1871 he was living in Stretford, Lancashire where he was a salesman of cotton goods.

He married Elizabeth Jessie WATERER (1851-1935) in the Guildford area in 1880. By 1881 Elizabeth and John were living in New Road, Burnley with Elizabeth’s mother, Harriet. Harriet WATERER, nee CHANDLER (1825-1888) was an annuitant and a widow of Thomas WATERER, a farmer and nurseryman of Knaphill, Woking. John was now a Wesleyan Minister. Elizabeth and John had two daughters, Ethel Waterer FAIRBOURNE (1882-1952) and Adela Irene FAIRBOURNE (1886-1953) and in 1891 they were living in Newark Road, Lincoln. The nature of John’s vocation meant that the family moved around the country and Harriet WATERER died in Wellington, Shropshire. In 1901 the family were living in Walsall, Staffordshire.

However, by 1911 the family had finally settled and made their home at Epworth, Heathside Park Road, Woking. It was here that John died on 18 March 1915 and was buried in Brookwood Cemetery on 22 March 1915. Elizabeth Jessie FAIRBOURNE also died at Epworth, on 9 April 1935 and was buried in Brookwood Cemetery on 15 April 1935. Neither of the daughters married and they were both living at Epworth when they died. Ethel died on 29 August 1952 and was buried in Brookwood Cemetery on 2 September 1952. Adela died on 29 March 1953 and was buried in Brookwood Cemetery on 2 April 1953.

The Surrey History Centre holds a glass plate negative and image of a photograph taken before 1920 of his grave in Brookwood Cemetery SHC 9524/2/43

Lucy James Hall

Surrey In the Great War                                                                                                                                 Jenny Mukerji

Lucy James HALL (1872-1918)

Patricia Latham HALL (1921)

Latham HALL (1866-1936)

Lucy James HALL was born in Jersey City, USA on 2 January 1872 and died of pneumonia at The Mount, Woking on 8 July 1918. She was buried in Brookwood Cemetery on 11 July 1918 at 2:45. Her memorial records “A noble woman in every thought, word and deed.”

Latham HALL was born in New York City on 9 September 1866. Throughout his career he was described as an estate manager, a merchant and an engineer. He married Lucy JAMES, the daughter of Rosatha Sampson JAMES and they had a daughter Rosatha Sampson HALL who was born in Rosario, Argentina on 25 October 1893.

Latham HALL had a number of properties and travelled extensively. He had a home at Entre Rios, 338 Rosario, Argentina; 510 East Seneca Street, Ithaca, New York; and The Mount, St John’s, Woking.

Giving his address as Rosario, Argentina Latham’s marriage to Evelyn CHUBB, youngest daughter of the late J.C. CHUBB and of Mrs CHUBB of Oaklands, (Heathside Crescent) Woking was announced in The Times on 17 January 1920. The ceremony took place at St George’s Church, Campden Hill, London on 21 January 1920 at 12:30. Evelyn Maud Jane CHUBB was born in Kingston, Surrey in 1888, the daughter of John Charles CHUBB (the lock and safe maker) and his wife Ella Sophia (nee MANTHORP). Mrs CHUBB was still living at Oaklands when she died on 2 June 1926.

Latham and Evelyn had a home in Woking where their two children were born. Patricia Latham HALL was born on 2 January 1921, died on 16 January 1921 and was buried in Brookwood Cemetery on 17 January 1921. John Latham HALL was born in 1923 and possibly died in Iowa, USA in 2002.

Latham HALL’s daughter, Rosatha, by Lucy married John Caldwell ALLAN at the Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street, London on 3 March 1921. He had served in the Indian Army Reserve of Officers (WO 372/1/50915) during the Great War.

Latham HALL died on 9 March 1936 at a Bournemouth Nursing Home. His wife, Evelyn was living at Hollyhill, Poulner, Ringwood, Hampshire at the time. Latham was buried in Brookwood Cemetery, (along with Lucy and Patricia) on 12 March 1936.

Hon. Frederick Somerset Gough-Calthorpe

Surrey in the Great War Jenny Mukerji

Hon. Frederick Somerset Gough-Calthorpe (1892-1935)

Cricketer – MCC Captain – Royal Naval Air Serviceman

The Hon. Frederick Somerset Gough-Calthorpe’s ashes are buried in plot 28 (grave 21087) of the Anglican Section in Brookwood Cemetery. He had died at his home, The Home Green, Worplesdon Hill, Woking on 19 November 1935, at the age of 43. His cremation took place at St John’s Crematorium.

Frederick was born on 27 May 1892 in Kensington, the only child of Captain Hon. Somerset Frederick Gough-Calthorpe, 8th Baron Calthorpe (1862-1940) and his wife, Mary Burrows (1867-1940). Frederick was also the nephew of the Admiral of the Fleet, Hon. Sir Somerset Gough-Calthorpe.

In 1901 the family was living in Clayton, Sussex. Educated at Repton and Jesus College, Cambridge, Frederick first became a Cambridge Cricket Blue as a Freshman in 1912. He played against Oxford again in 1913 and again in 1914. Prior to the Great War he played cricket for Sussex.

During the Great War he initially served in the Staffordshire Yeomanry as a Lieutenant and transferred across to the Royal Naval Air Service. On 1 April 1918 the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service combined to form the Royal Air Force (RAF) and Frederick stayed in the RAF until he was demobilised and returned to Cambridge and cricket, playing against Oxford at Lord’s.

After the war Frederick played for Warwickshire (1919-1930) for whom he was captain. His best year was 1925 when he scored 1,404 runs with an average of 34.24 and in that year he played for the Gentlemen against the Players at Lord’s. He was a lively medium-paced bowler and batsman. During the course of his career, which lasted 24 years, he scored 1000 runs in one season on five separate occasions and in 1920 he took 100 wickets. His total number of runs was 12,598 and he took 219 catches.

After marrying Rose Mary Dorothy Vernon-Harcourt (1900-1985) at St Paul’s Church, Knightsbridge on 5 September 1922 and spending their honeymoon in Cornwall, he left to tour Australia and New Zealand with A C Maclaren’s team (1922-3). He also captained the MCC in the West Indies in 1925-6 and 1929-30.

He also enjoyed playing golf, which was probably why he came to live in Woking, to be beside so many golf courses and live in a house named “The Home Green”.

Frederick and his wife, known as Dorothy, had two sons, both of whom are buried in Brookwood Cemetery, in the same plot as their father. Dorothy remarried in 1949 in Westminster. Her husband was Lt Col Guy Alexander Ingram Dury (1895-1976), another cricketer.

Hon Frederick Somerset Gough-Calthorpe’s obituary, with photograph, is in The Times on 20 November 1935.